Saturday, March 24, 2012

I Haven't Been So Good Lately ...

Why do I hear a conversation with Billy T in my head going something like: "Haven't you?" "No, not really." "Shame that."

I've been out of work off and on since November. It's rough out there. One of my best friends is going through the same thing in the States. The funny thing is, I was talking to a woman from New York who came to NZ in August because the job situation is better. Really?

I signed up with a talent agency to get work as an extra. But I have yet to see any work. They have emailed me twice asking if I'm available at a certain time. I say yes. That's the last I hear of it. I don't get it. Why? Am I that bad-looking?

I know what my aforementioned best friend would say. She'd give me a good whack and tell me it's not me. It's them. But I still can't get past the whole "I look like a troll" thing. I know beauty is only skin deep but I just can't seem to meet the right person who sees beyond the surface.

Anyway, back to the whole 'it's tough out there situation'. It really is. There are some people who complain about their jobs, but right now they're lucky to be working.

One of the things that I've been working on lately is my novel. I can't remember the exact year I started on it but I think it was around 1996. The reason I know that is the main female character in the novel is a reporter and the office she works in is the exact office I worked in. Well, not exact, since the place in the novel is fictional, but the setting is the same.

I'm a little concerned. There is a certain tv program which bears a passing resemblance to the plot of my story. I should be okay, since I have proof that I have been at least writing this since 2004 (I have a CD with a word file which was created in 2004). I have to wonder if somehow someone found a previous entry I did somewhere and took elements of the plot from my story because there is so much that sounds familiar. I haven't watched the show, but the actress appeared on a talkshow and talked a little bit of the plot.

But it should be okay. Let's just say that there are certain psychological issues at work in my story and that is ultimately what the story is about. I really would like to get the novel finished and hopefully my friend will be able to continue as a beta for me. Never know, I might end up publishing it after all. Wouldn't it be great?

No comments: